Many kids are picky eaters and they avoid eating or do not like to eat food for some or other reason. Because of poor eating habits kids may suffer vitamin and nutrition deficiency. These deficiencies in growing period can affect their physical growth, learning ability as well as behavior.
It is important for parents/ caregivers to plan well balanced diet for kids to ensure complete nutrition. Forcing kids to eat food is not the right way .To handle picky eater kid try some fantastic tricks to include all food in their diet. Maintain some gap in between their meals so that kids will feel hunger and they will ask for food.
Fantastic tips will surely help to provide more nutrition for kids :
1. Make sandwiches with whole-wheatbread instead of white bread and add many veg slices/leafy veggies in it . As kids love sandwiches and sandwich with more vegetables will be more nutritious.
2. Add dry fruits(Cashew /almond) powder in wheat atta(flour) while making rotis.Instead of chocolates offer dry fruit laddu ,dry fruit candies ,fried cashew or simply small cut pieces of dry fruits.Dry fruits are rich in iron ,calcium and fats ,they are high calories source too. Make dry fruits ladoo ,Dry fruits barfi for children as snacks.
3. Bowl of veggie soup ,veggie smoothie or fruit juice can be served as a mini-meal or snacks time.Add extra veggies to soups, stews, and sauces, grated or shredded to make them blend in.
4. An important part of a kids diet is calcium ,and the best source of this nutrient is milk. Children may like dairy products , so offer them milk, yoghurt or cheese. Cheese and yoghurt can be used to make parathas ,Milk can be added to make Dashmi,variety of deserts .
5. Keep plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grain snacks, and healthy beverages (Milk, pure fruit juice ,milkshakes) around and easily accessible so kids become used to reaching for healthy snacks instead of empty calorie snacks like soda, chips, or cookies.
6.Limit beverages. Picky eaters may fill up on liquids instead. Avoid cold drink,soft drinks completely and do not give lemon water ,fruit juice before meal times.
7. Present only one new food at a time.Serve new foods with favorite foods in small quantity to increase acceptance.
8. Making mealtimes playful can mean healthier eating for kids.Meals with friends , meals with toys and favorite dolls or teddy can make meals more fantastic for kids.
9.Have a wide variety of healthy foods like rice crackers ,multi grain biscuits , dry fruit bars , chikki ( Peanuts and jagery bars ) on hand and keep offering them, even after they refused (Children do change their minds.) Use transparent bottles to store these food items as kids may ask to eat by seeing .
10. Keep lots of fresh fruits and veggies washed and available as snacks. Apples, pears, bananas, grapes, figs, carrot and celery sticks are all fantasticoand easy to eat option on the run for kids .
11. Include a selection of vegetables on their rice dishes.Rice with vegetables is good option. Different types of rice like Tomato rice,vegetable pulao ,spinach rice,fenugreek rice, lemon rice ,egg rice , paneer biryani ( rice with Cottage cheese ) can be included in kids meals.