If I think about making anything Soft, luscious, sweet and melt in mouth – It’s obviously “Puran poli ”. It has special significance in Maharashtrian people.Any festival in my house is incomplete without melt in mouth Puran poli. It’s basically a type of bread made by stuffing sweet mixture inside. For making sweet stuffing variety of lentils Chana dal, Toor dal, Moong dal can be used. Sugar or jaggery are used as a sweetener. Cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, fennel powder are used for fragrance and flavourful taste.Making Puran poli is an art and it needs following the recipe carefully. It’s not that difficult as well.
For making perfect Puran poli follow some tips.
- Sieve and then Knead wheat dough.
- Knead it as soft as possible to make soft Puran poli.
- Keep it aside by covering wet cloth for at least an hour.
- Pour sufficient ghee (Depending on the quantity of Puran) while roasting the sweet stuffing.
- Roast Puran on low flame while stirring continuously.
- Roll Puran poli with minimum possible pressure using rolling pin.
- Roast it on low flame to avoid changing colour of outer cover.
- Chana dal 4 cups
- Sugar 2 cups
- Ghee 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Nutmeg powder 1/4 tea spoon
- Fennel seeds powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Atta /wheat flour 4 cups
- Salt as per taste
- Sieve and knead soft dough of wheat flour.
- Keep it aside covered with wet cloth for at least 1 hour.
- Wash and pressure cook Chana dal in pressure cooker till it gets cooked.
- Grind it with sugar or jagery in grinder /Special puran making device to get fine mixture.
- Cook this Puran mixture in heavy bottom pan while stirring continuously.
- Pour half the ghee in pan and mix well.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, fennel powder while stirring.
- When it gets ready (Takes around 25 minutes to get cooked)allow it to cool completely.
- Make equal sized balss of wheat dough and puran.
- Roll puran poli by stuffing this Puran in wheat dough and roll puran poli.
- Roast in on low flame.
- Apply ghee on both side of puran poli and serve it.