Sago kheer/porridge is made using sago and milk.Sago is used for making Fasting/vrat recipes like sago khichadi , sago /sabudana fritters ,sago rotis or parathas.
Sago/Sabudana kheer is good recipe for toddlers (at least 1 year old) as its easy to chew. Variety of porridge like semai kheer , semolina kheer ,almonds kheer can be given to toddlers.Kids like the taste of sago and its structure like ball.I make sago kheer for festivals as offering to god and my kids like that balls in milk porridge.
Adding saffron strands , ghee and milk is totally optional. You can avoid adding these ingredients or add any choice of dry fruits for making sago kheer more nutritious.
- Sago/ Sabudana 1 cup
- Milk full cream 1 cup
- Sugar 1/2 cup
- Ghee 1 tea spoon
- Water 1 cup
- Cardamom powder 1 pinch (optional)
- Saffron strands 2 (optional)
- Wash sago with water and drain all water from it.Keep sago covered aside for 6-7 hours.
- Heat pan and add water in it.
- Add sago in pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar,milk and mix all ingredients well.Cook sago kheer for another 6-7 minutes.
- Pour spoon full of ghee and cardamom powder on sago kheer and switch off gas.
- Serve sago kheer hot or cold.