Khichadi is extremely popular one pot meal .Its made up of rice ,lentils ,variety of vegetables and selected spices. It tastes yummy and takes very less time and ingredients to cook. I like khichadi and always make it when I feel tired or lazy of cooking complete meal.
Any of the lentils toor daal, moong daal , masoor daal, chana daal or mix of lentils can be used for making this dish.Which lentils to use is dependent on people eating khichadi, As while making khichadi for baby ,infant use only moong daal as its very easy to digest. Same is case for making khichadi for sick person.Moong daal is easier to digest than other lentils so it is used mostly for making it.I like khichadi most with rice and toor daal combination.While making spicy khichadi use spices like whole red chilies ,black pepper and cinnamon sticks. Khichadi tastes yummy without using any spices as well.It is served with onion raita/ any choice of raita or simply with curd, papad and pickle.
- Rice 2 cups
- Moong dal 1/2 cup
- Onion 1
- Tomato 1
- Green chili 2
- Coriander leaves small bunch
- Garlic 4-5
- Curry leaves 7-8
- Cumin powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt as per taste
- Mustard and cumin seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Wash rice and lentils with enough water and keep it aside.
- Wash and chop all vegetables.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker.
- Add cumin , mustard seeds in hot oil to crackle.
- Add chopped onions in oil and saute fro 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped garlic ,curry leaves in oil and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute veggies for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add all dry spice powders and salt in vegetables and mix well.
- Add rice and lentil mixture and saute fro 2 minutes.
- Add water and close lid of pressure cooker and cook khichadi for 3-4 whistles
- Serve khichadi with Raita and papad.