Making eggless cake was on my to-do list from many days. I have many friends who are pure vegetarians. I like to bake cakes for all our parties and potlucks. But vegetarian friends couldn’t eat cakes with eggs, so I decided to learn eggless cake for them. When I tried it for the first time it turned out not that good so I started searching exact proportion and the key ingredient to making eggless cake spongy and fluffy as that of cake with eggs. Then I found magic ingredient curd makes eggless cakes perfect. This eggless cake using curd is very soft, moist and tasty too.
Actually, there are many recipes and it’s up to you to select a perfect recipe for you. The only precaution for using curd is, it tastes better if we use freshly set curd instead of sour curd. I have set curd and used it just after it sets perfectly(6 hours after setting curd) for making the cake. And curd is made up of fresh full cream milk only.
Now for making the eggless cake in pressure cooker few settings has to be done, as the pressure cooker is not made for baking and overheating it may cause permanent damage to it.
For baking cake in pressure cooker do following things :
Remove gasket of pressure cooker lid for making a cake in it.
Add normal salt in it and keep cake tin on salt to avoid burning cake by overheating.
Don’t heat pressure cooker for very long for making cakes.
Don’t use pressure cooker often to make cakes as over-heating may damage it.
- Maida /All-purpose flour 4 cups
- Ghee 1/ cup
- Sugar 1 cup
- Baking powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking soda 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh curd 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
Directions to cook:
- Sieve Maida, powdered sugar separately before using to remove any unwanted items in it. Keep it aside.
- Mix pinch of salt, Maida, baking powder in a bowl.
- Grease baking tin with ghee and keep it ready for pouring cake batter.
- Heat the Pressure cooker on gas and add 1/2 kg of normal cooking salt in it. For baking small size cake use the large cooker to avoid overheating. I have used 5 liters(capacity of a pressure cooker ) cooker for cooking small size cake.
- Pre Heat cooker in this way for 5 minutes for cooking cake in it.
- Whisk curd and water using mixer /grinder and pour it in Maida.
- Heat ghee in a separate pan and add powder sugar in hot ghee.
- Pour ghee, sugar mixture, baking soda in Maida and mix well all ingredients together.
- Add water in Maida to get required consistency cake batter while stirring.
- Make sure there are no lumps in a cake batter.
- Pour this cake batter quickly into the baking tin and keep it immediately in preheat cooker for cooking.
- Don’t keep batter for more time without cooking/ baking as cake may turn hard. For soft cake quickly baking/cooking is necessary.
- Close cooker lid and cook cake on low flame for about 30-35 minutes. Cooking time depends on the quantity of cake.
- To check if the cake is cooked or not insert a tooth pick and if it comes out clean cake is ready.
15.Let cake cool for few minutes and take it out using the knife on cake tin edges.
- Serve egg less plain cake with any choice of icing or fruits topping.