Here we are – The most colourful, cheerful, beautiful, blissful period of the year, its festive season. Diwali, festival of lights, it celebrates goodness over evil, light over darkness. Everyone is gearing up for the festival of lights, happiness, and prosperity. It’s spread across five days and each day has its own significance. We celebrate Diwali for complete five days. Preparations start with cleaning of house and utensils, clothes. Houses are coloured, decorated to welcome the festivities. New clothes, jewellery bought or gifted to loved ones. And then starts the interesting part of the festival-cooking savoury and sweet snacks for Diwali. Aroma of various delicacies make environment fragrant. We celebrated Diwali with friends so it was more fun for all. This is our snacks platter. It was tedious to make so many snacks, but everyone relished on it. Here are Diwali celebrations pics.
Sweet rice recipe:
Celebration/festival is incomplete without deserts. Many readymade sweets are available in market but still home- made deserts/ sweets are special. Sweet rice is very simple and quick desert recipe and it has many variations. My daughter loves this desert and I make it often with some different touch to it. I am feeling very excited to share this easy to make and loaded with dry fruits sweet rice recipe here.
Rice 1 cup
Full cream Milk 3 cups
Water 3 cup
Ghee 2 tab spoon
Cashew 4 pieces
Almond 4 pieces
Raisins 1 tb spoon
Saffron 4 strands
A pinch of cardamom powder
Directions to cook:
- Wash rice and drain all water in it. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Wash and soak almonds in water for 3 hours.
- Add saffron strands in 1 tb spoon of milk and keep it aside.
- Heat a thick bottom pan and add ghee in it.
- Add rice in hot ghee and sauté it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water in the pan while stirring. Cook it on very low flame for 10 minutes.
- Pour milk into pan and mix well. Cook it for another 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, soaked almonds, raisins, milk infused saffron strands in sweet rice and mix well.
- Add more milk if required. Milk quantity depends on the consistency required.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder when sweet rice is completely cooked. While serving garnish with cut dry fruits.
Please check few of the snacks recipes for Diwali.
Coconut ladoo recipe
Diwali celebrations include the lighting of firecrackers as well. Mostly on the evening of Lakshmi Pooja fireworks are done. Sia and Sara bought many colorful fireworks for these Diwali celebrations. These are the photos of firework celebrations on the night of Diwali. This firework session after Pooja is fully enjoyed by kids.
This year we tried our hands on making Akashkandil / Decorative lamp at home. And it turned out very good. Sia helped me in the complete process of cutting and sticking papers to make this beautiful lamp. So lamp making was family affair for us which we enjoyed.
Wish you all happy festivals season and happy Diwali. Please give your feedbacks in comments.