After delivering baby mommy has many qyestions about bathing the baby.When to start bathing baby? What to use for bathing? How to handle the delicate baby? Will baby cry while giving bath? If you are a new mommy and having these questions, then here is the guide for making bathing a joyful experience for you and your baby. Generally bathing newborn baby has to start once navel gets healed. (Sometimes it takes 3-4 days after birth or sometimes on the second day itself bath is given to the baby.) But it is always good to take your doctor ’s advice before starting bathing baby. If your doctor advices to start bathing baby then go ahead and give a relaxing bath to baby.Newborn babies love water and enjoy bathing, as it reminds them of the cosy, watery world of the mother’s womb. For giving bath to baby, there are many products available in the market like baby tub, baby bathing bed. Select the product according to your convenience or you can go for giving bath to baby on your legs.Before bathing the baby in morning,it’s good to give her a massage. Ask your doctor about when to start massage before doing it.
Please check how to massage your baby here.
Here are few easy tips to make bathing baby joyful experience:
1. Get all required things ready for bathing baby,as getting things while having baby on your lap is difficult.(Newborn baby has to handle with more care.)
Following are general things required while bathing baby (It may vary):
- Two soft cotton towels ,
- Cotton balls,
- Gentle baby soap/ Baby Wash
- Besan (Bengal gram powder) and milk paste, (Optional)
- Lukewarm water (It depends on the outside temperature, if weather is very cold outside you can take little warm water)
- Bathtub, bathing bed (Optional)
You can bath baby on your legs as well. For that purpose make your baby sleep on your legs and give bath.
2. Lower baby in tub so that her head rests on your hand. Wash her upper body properly and make sure to wash between neck and arm, below arms. Clean her tummy area carefully. Bathing helps in better blood circulation and it will soothe muscle pain.
3. Apply Baby wash / (Bengal gram powder + milk +pinch of turmeric powder) on complete body of baby. (Besan helps to remove hairs on baby’s body if any). Rub gently and then Wash it with lukewarm water.
4. Wash hair and head while gently massaging. Clean area behind her ears, nose using cotton balls. Apply soap on neck, stomach, chest, hands wash it with water while massaging. Wash babies palms twice as many babies suck fingers so cleaning them becomes necessary.
5. Carefully clean diaper area and legs. Baby’s diaper area needs to be cleaned carefully. It may get rashes if not cleaned properly.
6. Then make baby sleep on her tummy for washing her back. As I gave bath to baby by keeping her on my legs, it was easy to make baby sleep on her tummy.
7. Apply baby wash / soap on her back and legs to clean them. Washback carefully and pour water. Finally cover baby completely and tightly with soft, cotton towels.
8. Soak water on her body by pat drying with towels, before wearing clothes. Switch off Fan, AC, and Cooler in a room where baby will wear clothes after bath.
9. Apply mild baby moisturiser and wear soft cotton clothes to your baby. I used cotton front open shirts and cotton diaper for my baby till she got 6 months old (As per outside weather select type of clothes for your baby ). Cotton clothes are soft on babies delicate skin help to avoid rashes. Bathing has many health benefits and your baby will sleep more comfortably after bath.