Dental implants have revolutionized cosmetic dentistry, as they offer a permanent solution to missing teeth, and while the treatment is expensive and takes quite a while to complete, there are some mistakes that people can make when looking to have dental implant treatment, and here are a few examples.
- Accepting an Unusually Cheap Treatment Package – There are some online dental clinics that are to be avoided, and the only way they can attract clients is to offer the treatment at very low prices when compared to regular dental implant costs. It is vital that the clinic you choose has an excellent reputation regarding dental implants, and with a few testimonials from happy clients, you can go ahead with some confidence that the treatment will be successful.
- Insufficient Recovery Time – When the titanium pins are inserted, it takes a few weeks for the titanium to start to bond with the jawbone, and when the dentist tells you to avoid brushing hard or eating on the affected area, there is a good reason for this. In order for the treatment to be successful, it is essential that no pressure is exerted onto the prosthetic tooth, at least for a while. If you religiously follow the dentist’s instructions, the implant procedure should be successful and don’t expect to be able to treat your new teeth like natural ones from day one, as they need time to fuse with the jawbone. Your dentist would schedule regular appointments to check on the progress after the treatment is complete, and should there be any issues, the dentist can take appropriate action.
- Assuming you Are Unable to Have Dental Implants – Some older patients mistakenly think they cannot have dental implants, and while there are cases where patients are unsuitable, this is when a person’s jawbone is too thin to support the titanium pins that need to be inserted. This is an exception, as most people are suitable for implant treatment, and there are no real age limitations.
- Poor Post Treatment Care – It is crucial that you follow your dentist’s instructions after the implants have been fitted, and if you mistakenly think that your new teeth can withstand anything from day one, it is likely you will be disappointed. The first 6 months are very important, and during this time, you should be aware of the implants and not exert too much pressure on them.
- Failing to Do Some Research – Dental implants are very expensive, and when making such an investment, it is important to carry out some online research into dental implants and how the treatment works. The more you know about the treatment, the less likely you are to do anything to jeopardize the success of the treatment.
If you are interested in finding out more about dental implants, make an appointment with your dentist, who can examine you to see whether or not you are suitable for the treatment. If you have recently moved and have not yet registered with a local clinic, try to find one that specializes in dental implant treatment, which will greatly improve your chances of successful treatment.
Disclaimer: This article is published in partnership with Mediabuzzer.